Welcome to Mothernova: A blast of “in the know” for parents on the go!
Hi! I’m Alison Grace Johansen–a journalist-mama with two energetic kiddos and a constantly curious mind. You also could say I’m an author, writer, editor, researcher and advocate for those with special needs. I’m a mama who wants to get to the bottom of things, spread awareness and help make a difference.
Welcome to my blog. Mothernova® is a parenting website where my journey into motherhood meets food allergies, food allergy awareness and advocacy, allergen-free baking, breastfeeding, pediatric health, mindful parenting, education, children’s literature and several other hot-button parenting issues that are close to my heart.
This blog is where I share my journey, what I’m learning, my ideas and my hopes for the future.
It is also the place where I will share the latest news about my recently released children’s book, HumFree the Bee Has a Food Allergy!
When my first child was born, we came face-to-face with food allergies and sleep apnea. I truly got a crash course in motherhood and quickly learned how to be my child’s best advocate.
If you have a passion for making sure all children (and those who care for them) are healthy, happy, safe, informed and included–and for changing things to make sure this happens–this blog is for you.
Mothernova features six categories
After working for almost 15 years as a journalist for two large publishers, I love interviewing, researching, writing and getting to the bottom of things. As I’ve navigated my way through motherhood, the reporter in me has been doing a ton of research about everything from the rights of children with special needs in the school setting to pediatric feeding and mindful parenting.
- In the know: Spotlights doctors, specialists, and other noteworthy leaders in interviews, Q&As, and special reports about key health and other issues affecting our kids.
- In the kitchen: Highlights allergen-free and nutritious recipes and ideas, along with their creators and kitchen tips.
- At play: Mothernova believes in the importance of play in child development and learning, and will bring to the table creative play ideas, as well as the insight of specialists in the fields of music, art, and sports.
- On the shelves: Reviews books, music, movies, and other helpful products.
- On the go: Offers kid-friendly activities and places to go around town, safety tips, information about baby-wearing, and other travel ideas.
- Just for mom: Shares ideas, experiences, and tips that have helped me on my journey.
My Favorite Posts
Here are some of the most popular articles on this blog, if you want to get a better idea of what I’m all about:
- What My Son Taught Me About Food Allergy Awareness: Think “A-E-I-O-U”
- Top Allergy Expert Drives Home Importance of Recognizing Anaphylaxis, Giving Epinephrine Promptly
- An Ode to Food Allergy Friends on Christmas: God Bless the Big and Small!
- Pediatric Feeding Q&A: How to Know If Your Child Is More Than a “Picky Eater” and Tips to Help
- Managing Food Allergies and Sleep Apnea: Five Tips for Being Your Child’s Best Advocate
- My Top Five Breastfeeding Tips for Delivery Day: Think “A-B-C-D-E”
- Parenting and the Power of the “Redo”
- Trading Time-Outs for Time-Ins: Dr. Laura Markham Shares “Sweet Spot” for Parenting Happy Kids
I’m hopeful that Mothernova will grow with me as I continue my journey of seeking answers and will become a place of support for you as well.
SIGN UP for free news + HumFree updates!
Mothernova e-mails free monthly newsletters, so don’t forget to sign up if you’re interested. For those of you who sign up, over the next few weeks I will be sharing some fun behind-the-scenes stories about HumFree the bee, sneak peeks at illustrations, giveaways and most importantly discount codes for all subscribers!
Stop in. Get some new ideas. Join me on my journey!