Welcome to Mothernova: A blast of “in the know” for parents on the go!
Hi! I’m Alison Grace Johansen–a journalist-mama with two energetic kiddos and a constantly curious mind. You also could say I’m an author, writer, editor, researcher and advocate for those with food allergies and other special needs. I ultimately want to help spread awareness and make a difference.
Welcome to my blog. Mothernova® is a parenting website where my journey into motherhood meets food allergies, food allergy awareness and advocacy, allergen-free baking, pediatric health, mindful parenting, education, writing, children’s literature and several other hot-button parenting issues that are close to my heart.
This blog also is where I share the latest news about my children’s book, HumFree the Bee Has a Food Allergy!
My Favorite Posts
After working for almost 15 years as a journalist for two large publishers, I love interviewing, researching, writing and getting to the bottom of things. As I’ve navigated my way through motherhood, the reporter in me has been doing a ton of research about everything from the rights of children with special needs in the school setting to pediatric feeding and mindful parenting. Here are some of my favorite and most popular articles:
- What My Son Taught Me About Food Allergy Awareness: Think “A-E-I-O-U”
- Top Allergy Expert Drives Home Importance of Recognizing Anaphylaxis, Giving Epinephrine Promptly
- An Ode to Food Allergy Friends on Christmas: God Bless the Big and Small!
- Pediatric Feeding Q&A: How to Know If Your Child Is More Than a “Picky Eater” and Tips to Help
- Managing Food Allergies and Sleep Apnea: Five Tips for Being Your Child’s Best Advocate
- My Top Five Breastfeeding Tips for Delivery Day: Think “A-B-C-D-E”
- Parenting and the Power of the “Redo”
- Trading Time-Outs for Time-Ins: Dr. Laura Markham Shares “Sweet Spot” for Parenting Happy Kids
- The Food Allergy Parent’s Number One Back-to-School Tool: Educate, Educate, Educate!
I have several freelance clients for which I help with writing, editing, newsletter content and social media strategy. I also handle content strategy and creation for Pixel Jocks, a digital marketing agency. Please reach out to me to find out more about how we can help you!
SIGN UP for free news + HumFree updates!
Mothernova e-mails free monthly newsletters, so don’t forget to sign up if you’re interested. For those of you who sign up, I will be sharing fun behind-the-scenes stories about HumFree the bee, sneak peeks at illustrations, giveaways and most importantly discount codes for all subscribers! You can follow me on Twitter and like my Facebook page for the latest!
Stop in. Get some new ideas. Join me on my journey!