Hi! I’m Alison Grace Johansen. Here’s my writing portfolio of several posts that have gathered a nice following. If you want me to guest post on your blog, help write your newsletter, develop your social media platform, or need a writer, editor, ghostwriter or proofreader, you can reach out to me here.
I have several freelance clients for which I help with writing, editing, newsletter content and social media strategy. I also handle content strategy and creation for Pixel Jocks, a digital marketing agency. Please reach out to me to find out more about how we can help!
Here are some of my favorite Mothernova posts.
- What My Son Taught Me About Food Allergy Awareness: Think “A-E-I-O-U”
- Top Allergy Expert Drives Home Importance of Recognizing Anaphylaxis, Giving Epinephrine Promptly
- An Ode to Food Allergy Friends on Christmas: God Bless the Big and Small!
- Pediatric Feeding Q&A: How to Know If Your Child Is More Than a “Picky Eater” and Tips to Help
- Managing Food Allergies and Sleep Apnea: Five Tips for Being Your Child’s Best Advocate
- My Top Five Breastfeeding Tips for Delivery Day: Think “A-B-C-D-E”
Here are some of my favorite posts as a guest contributor for Fancy Shanty and other blogs.
- Five Reasons to Visit Your Local Farmer’s Markets (in Addition to Nutrition) [Fancy Shanty]
- Providing the Tools to Feel Capable [Fancy Shanty]
- Building Blocks of Confident Independence [Fancy Shanty]
- Five Tips for Less Stress This Summer [Fancy Shanty]
- Get Paid to Go to Weddings: Earn $300 Per Ceremony as an Officiant [The Penny Hoarder]
- Four Steps for Keeping Back-to-School Fears in Check [Fancy Shanty]
- Laughter Is the Best Medicine of All [Fancy Shanty]
- Parenting and Saying “No” in a “Yes” World [Fancy Shanty]
- Parenting and Feelings: Where There’s No Right or Wrong [Fancy Shanty]
- My Top 10 Favorite Books for Helping Kids Navigate Emotions [Fancy Shanty]
- Parenting and the Holidays: Keeping the Magic Alive [Fancy Shanty]
- Parenting Through Toxic Relationships: 6 Steps for Letting “It” Go [Fancy Shanty]
- 5 Tips for Parents to Build Their Best Village [Fancy Shanty]
- Mindful Parenting and Playing the Referee: Think “A-B-C-D-E” [Fancy Shanty]
- The Food Allergy Parent’s #1 Back-to-School Tool: Educate, Educate, Educate! [FAACT]
More About Me
I’m a mama, children’s book author, writer, researcher, advocate for those with special needs and a mama who wants to help make things happen. This blog is where I share my journey, what I’m learning, my ideas and my hopes for the future. To find out more about me, read my full bio and check out my free newsletter.
During the 15 years before founding Mothernova, I enjoyed working as a senior legal editor and reporter for The Bureau of National Affairs Inc. (BNA), now known as Bloomberg BNA; and as a writer and editor for CCH Washington Service Bureau, now part of Wolters Kluwer. I wrote and edited news stories, features, special reports, interview pieces, and guest author articles on a range of topics under the umbrellas of federal ethics law, securities law, and corporate governance law.
Before that, I worked in both the editorial and marketing departments for Scarecrow Press, with the Roman and Littlefield Publishing Group.
I received my undergraduate degree in political science from the University of Richmond, and my law degree from the Dickinson School of Law at the Pennsylvania State University.
My Favorite Articles at BNA
The content available at the links below was originally published in BNA’s Corporate Accountability Report and is reproduced with permission from The Bureau of National Affairs, Inc. Copyright 2005 – 2013 by The Bureau of National Affairs, Inc. (800-372-1033) (http://www.bna.com). The content is for informational purposes only and is not to be copied or reproduced in any form.
- Revenue Recognition: Probing Questions, Focus on Culture Seen Aiding Boards in Fighting Fraud, 3 Corp. Accountability Report (BNA) No. 12, at 305 (March 25, 2005)
- Restatements: Restatements Likely to Continue, Particularly for Smaller Companies, 3 Corp. Accountability Report (BNA) No. 29, at 720 (July 22, 2005)
- Proxy Season: Executive Pay, Disclosure Top Investor Agendas for 2006, 4 Corp. Accountability Report (BNA) No. 2, at 36 (January 13, 2006)
- Auditor Oversight: PCAOB Leadership in Transition; Scope of Internal Control Audits Uncertain, 4 Corp. Accountability Report (BNA) No. 2, at 39 (January 13, 2006)
- Internal Controls: Investor Community Representatives Attack Advisory Group Stance on Internal Controls, 4 Corp. Accountability Report (BNA) No. 2, at 27 (January 13, 2006)
I wrote and edited numerous other articles and interview pieces over the years for BNA. I also have worked as a freelance writer and editor for other companies and organizations. I’m available for guest blogging, reporting, ghostwriting, editing, copyediting, and other freelance work. Please feel free to contact me for more information.
I’m a proud member of the following groups: Kids With Food Allergies, FAACT, Food Allergy Research & Education (FARE), Loudoun Allergy Network, Chrons and Colitis Foundation of America, American Independent Writers Association, MediaBistro, the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators, and freedible.com.
Please note that I’m a book reviewer for Children’s Literature in Washington, D.C. This is an unpaid position. They provide books to review, which I get to keep, but the reviews are my own. You can find my reviews on their website. I post the reviews that are of interest to the parenting and food allergy communities under “On the Shelves” on my blog.